Today, Brent Schlenker talks to Kassy LaBorie talk VILT strategies and bring up 3 issues that should be discussed when conducting virtual learning. Kassy LaBorie is the principal consultant at Kassy LaBorie Consulting, LLC. She is a speaker, instructional designer, classroom facilitator, and author who specializes in virtual learning, teams, and live online technology. Kassy is passionate about helping organizations, learning teams, and training professionals successfully move to the virtual environment. She is the co-author of the book: Interact and Engage! 50+ Activities for Virtual Training, Meetings, and Webinars.
Kassy’s 3 issues from today’s talk:
Issue 1. You are not using the features of the online training technology to your advantage.
Solution: Learn exactly how the technology works and then use it to create the “virtual non-verbal communication” you need!
Issue 2: You’re asking low level or leading questions which simply ask people to respond rather than to think.
Solution: Ask thoughtful, learning focused questions.
Issue 3: You’re not listening to their responses, and you’re missing coaching opportunities.
Solution: Facilitate thoughts and ideas rather than giving answers or simply encouraging interaction.
- 3 issues to consider in a virtual classroom
- Issue 1: You are not using the features of the online training technology to your advantage
- Manage the audience by helping them use the tool
- Teaching people how to be facilitators, in a virtual environment
- Examples on how to introduce people to the environment and keep them engaged
- VILT, VC, Online Training…what’s the correct verbiage?
- Book: Interact and Engage! 50+ Activities for Virtual Training, Meetings, and Webinars
- Issue 2: You’re asking low level or leading questions which simply ask people to respond rather than to think
- Webcams considerations in VILT
- Issue 3: You’re not listening to their responses, and you’re missing coaching opportunities
- Q & A with chat
Links in the chat: